After the latest HearthStone Patch Blizzard also revamped the ranked play mode, and the achieving of Medals. Ranked Play now makes the path to move up in the rankings more transparent and gives top-level players more ways to differentiate themselves from each other.
In this mode, players can duel other players to increase their medal ranking by clicking on the ranked icon in the top corner, which will switch from “Casual” to “Ranked” Play. All players first stepping foot into Ranked play mode will start at Rank 25: Angry chicken. In Ranked play you’ll be pitted against opponents of equal to or as close to your rank as possible. Every time you find yourself victorious against your opponent, you’ll gain a star above your medal. Collect enough stars and you’ll eventually advance to the next rank. Win streaks will increase the pace at which you gain stars and at Rank 20 every loss will cause the loss of a star. You can no longer benefit from the Win streak bonus at Rank 5 through Rank 1, so every match will really count in the higher rankings.
- Each month, all players restart at Rank 25: “Angry Chicken”
- Players will be matched against players of similar rank.
- Win a game, acquire a star!
- Acquire enough stars and you’ll rank up!
- Each rank has its own icon and medal.
- Win streaks may give additional stars.
- At higher ranks, you’ll lose a star if you lose a game.
With the resetting of the medals every month Blizzard now follows most of the Smartphone games we’ve been playing like Clash of Clans. Previously when medals/ranks where reset by blizzard it was seen as the end of a season, as they called it which only happened once every 5 months.
Beyond Rank 1 is a special rank: Legend.
- Once you hit the Legend rank, it cannot be lost until the season ends.
- Legend rank will have a big number in the middle of the icon – this tells you your exact rank in your region!