After watching Batman v. Superman it has come as no surprise that we need to prepare ourselves for the one and only super villain: Darkseid. Don’t worry, this is not a spoiler at all as his name is never really mentioned in the film, and this is only speculation from our side (and the rest of the universe) as to his role in the upcoming DC films and the penultimate Justice League.
However, the following part of this article may contain some spoilers to the Batman v. superman film, so be warned! If you look carefully there were multiple indications that Darseid will show himself in the upcoming DC films such as Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and eventually Justice League. It’s like DC is taking a page straight from Marvel and their Thanos build-up.
At the end of the Batman v. Superman film we are left with Lex Luthor’s words “He’s coming. Let’s take a closer look at Darkseid and find out his history and powers. Who is Darkseid?
Darkseid (pronounced “Darkside”) is a fictional supervillain appearing in American comic books published by DC Comics, usually depicted as one of Superman’s greatest enemies. The character was created by writer-artist Jack Kirby and first appears in Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #134 (cover-dated Nov. 1970). Darkseid is the tyrannical ruler of the planet Apokolips, and is intent on conquering the universe and eliminating all free will. One of the most powerful beings in the DC Universe, the character is a major enemy of the Justice League.
The son of King Yuga Khan and Queen Heggra, Prince Uxas, second in line to the throne of Apokolips, plotted to seize power over the planet. When his brother, Drax, attempted to claim the fabled Omega Force, Uxas murdered him and took the power for himself; transforming him into a rock-like creature, and taking a new name: Darkseid.
Darkseid was evil from the get-go, planning to overthrow the Olympians and steal their power. Refusing to aid Darkseid in his mad quest, the Amazons battled his parademon (shown in Batman’s vision) troops, causing half of the Amazon population’s death. Wonder Woman was able to gain her revenge against Darkseid for killing so many of her sisters by placing a portion of her own soul into Darkseid. This supposedly weakened the god’s power as he lost a portion of his dark edge.
Darkseid’s goal was to eliminate all free will from the universe and reshape it into his own image. He had a special interest in Earth, as he believed humans possess collectively within their minds most, if not all, fragments of the Anti-Life Equation. Darkseid intended to probe the minds of every human in order to piece together the Equation. This has caused him to clash with many superheroes of the DC Universe, notably, the Kryptonian Superman. Darkseid worked behind-the-scenes, using superpowered minions in his schemes to overthrow Earth, including working through Intergang, a crime syndicate which employs Apokoliptian technology and later morphed into a religious cult that worships Darkseid as the god of Evil.
Powers and Abilities:
He is one complete badass! Darkseid is an extremely powerful being, filled with godly power. He has great physical strength, invulnerability, and Omega Beams, which are a vision power that is immensely powerful and can even do considerable damage to a Kryptonian. He can control the beams in midair, even after they’ve left his eyes. Unlike his parents Darkseid possess many powers and abilities.
- Super strength – Darkseid is extremely strong, far more powerful than Superman.
- Invulnerability – Darkseid is invulnerable to bullets, rockets and high frequency energy blasts. There are a lot more that could be added to this list but these are the main three. Darkseid is immune to all human diseases.
- Omega Beam – Darkseid is able to shoot beams from his eyes. The Omega beam is extremely powerful.
- Immortality – Darkseid is immortal.
- Telepathy: Darkseid is capable of forming telepathic links with seemingly any being in the universe.
- Mind Control: Ability to control the minds of others by sheer force of will. His ability to use this power is so great that he can dominate millions of beings all at once.
- Telekinesis: Darkseid is able to use psychokinetic attacks or attack the mind by simple thought. With this ability he is able to lift objects at will, as well as use them as projectile weapons or barriers. The limits to this power are unknown.
- Matter Transmutation: Darkseid is able to simply transmute matter by force of will.
- Molecular Dispersion: He is also able to dissipate and disperse the molecules of an object or organism, effectively erasing them from existence.
- Avatar Creation: A simple thought allows Darkseid to create liable avatars if/when the need arises.
- Psionic Possession: psychic abilities to possess an individual and negate any superhuman abilities they may have.
- Energy Manipulation: can also mentally control most known forms of energy, allowing him to erect protective force fields and project withering energy bolts.
- Teleportation: Darkseid is able to teleport himself or any other being simply just by thought or sheer willpower.
- Superhuman Endurance
- Super stamina
- Size manipulation: Darkseid has the ability to alter his body to grow to gigantitc size, such as his battle with Jimmy Olsen (who had the combined powers of all of the New Gods) in Countdown To Final Crisis #4.
- As an almost god-like being, Darkseid has several powers that surpass most other beings in the known universe.
With power such as these we’re not sure who will be able to stop Darkseid! stay tuned for our next post where we will tackle exactly this topic. Who can kill Darkseid?