* Update: Venom Movie Confirmed! Who is Venom?
The news that Apocalypse will be in the next X-Men movie has completely blown us away… With the next X-Men: Days of Future Past movie still heading our way on May 23 2014, Twentieth Century Fox not only gave a release date but a title as well for the following X-Men movie.
The news came as a big surprise, and it is the surprise that we’ve been waiting for! The title of the next X-Men movie will be ‘X-Men: Apocalypse‘ and it will be released on May 27, 2016. Apocalypse is a personal favourite of ours and we’we’ve been yearning to see him on the big screen for ages!
Who is Apocalypse? Not everybody may know him as well as we do, so here’s a detailed analysis of Apocalypse as he is depicted in the comics. This will give us a great idea what to expect from the movie:
Who is Apocalypse?
His real name is En Sabah Nur, and he was born in the Akkaba region of Ancient Egypt. One of the very first mutants, Apocalypse is both thousands of years old and a monstrous tyrant that has been a long-time foe of the X-Men. Apocalypse believes that only the strongest (whether mutant or superhuman) should survive. His body is a mix of organics and powerful celestial technology.
What is his Powers?
Superhuman Strength: Apocalypse possesses superhuman strength that he can further increase by drawing upon outside energy sources; Apocalypse has shown to be strong enough to physically restrain the Hulk while the Hulk was in an enraged state. Hence, Apocalypse is capable of lifting far in excess of 100 tons.
Superhuman Stamina: Apocalypse’s body produces practically no fatigue toxins during physical activity. He can exert himself at peak capacity indefinitely.
Invulnerability: Apocalypse is highly resistant to injury. With the Celestial modifications, this resistance to harm was amplified, making him virtually impervious to harm, although it is now possible (after his original body was destroyed) to cause him injury that would not be immediately regenerated by his power.
Flight: Apocalypse can enable himself to fly, by either transforming his arms into wings, jets, or through telekinetic use.
Teleportation: Apocalypse can teleport himself and others around vast distances across the planet and has shown the ability to teleport an entire fortress with him while leaving those within behind.
Bio-Molecular Alteration: Apocalypse has total control over the molecular structure of his body and can alter it at will. This means that matter manipulation has no effect on him, and can adapt his molecular structure to any adversity. Apocalypse can also perform the following feats:
- Malleable Form: Apocalypse’s entire body can be reshaped at will. He can alter his appearance, allow his body to become extremely malleable, maintain his full dexterity, and elongate his body or limbs.
- Size Alteration: Apocalypse is able to change his size at will; he can increase or decrease the size of his body by taking on additional mass or ridding of it from a presumably extra-dimensional source.
- Physical Superhuman powers: Through this ability to alter his form, Apocalypse can give himself virtually any physical superhuman power, as he can transform his arms and fists into various melee weapons.
- Transmutation: Apocalypse possesses transmutation abilities, as his descendants have already proven capable of.
Energy Generation: ability to generate energy for a number of effects, including but not limited to:
- Energy Absorption: ability to absorb energy and mass to augment the levels of both his strength and power to unlimited potentials.
- Superhuman Speed: by infusing his body with energy he is able to speed up his reflexes and reaction time in which to seemingly move at super speeds. It is this ability that allows him to counteract others with super-speed powers themselves.
- Force-Fields: ability to create nearly impenetrable force fields
- Energy Projection: ability to project massive energy blasts of destructive force. Apocalypse can also expel energy from his body, and control it’s directions.
Telekinesis: Apocalypse possesses telekinetic abilities enabling him to levitate oneself or that of others by sheer force of will and manipulate living beings, inanimate objects and to some extent energy psionically. He can “lift” far in excess of 100+ tons of weight and can enable himself to “fly” at great speed.
Virtual Immortality: Apocalypse’s original body was immortal, even before being modified by the Celestial ship, he had lived for thousands of years. Apocalypse can enter a coma-like state of suspended animation during which he may recover from any wounds with the assistance of his Celestial technology. The down side of his altering by the Celestials and his enhancement was that the techno-organic virus needed to allow this to happen ravaged his body requiring him to find new ones over the years.
- Retarded Aging: His molecular rearrangement ability has allowed him to constantly renew his cells, thus he’s unable to age.
- Blood of Apocalypse: As recently revealed, Apocalypse’s techno-organic blood has many unique properties. With only a drop of his blood into a vat of organs, blood, etc. the virus can rewrite the genetic code of the material within to form a new body for Apocalypse.
- Technology Interface: Apocalypse is able to directly interface with various technologies he has at his disposal.
Apocalypse is a genius, a level of which humanity cannot comprehend, and has knowledge of certain areas of biology, primarily genetic engineering and mutation, and technology that are far in advance of contemporary science and technology. This was not merely a result of his exposure to alien technology, as he was able to make significant new advances beyond the alien materials to which he was exposed.
Needless to say. Apocalypse is one badass. I simply cannot imagine how all of the X-Men together can ever defeat him. But, one of our long time dreams are coming true in 2016 and that is seeing Apocalypse on the big screen!