We still hold that the Hannibal series created by Bryan Fuller is one of the best series ever made. Breaking Bad comes in a close second.
Why do we love it so much? We could not have said it better than slantmagazine who voted Hannibal as their top show of the decade!
In the third and final season of Hannibal, creator Bryan Fuller and his talented team resolutely doubled down on the show’s figurative agency, embracing atmospheric dread and sensuality as the ultimate signposts of human character. This amazing horror soap opera will haunt mainstream television in the same fashion with which Hannibal (Mads Mikkelsen) lingers over his symbolic lover and rotating bête noire, Will (Hugh Dancy), casting a pall over the medium that’s really a dare. Like David Lynch before him, Fuller shined a light over TV’s capacity for eccentric, expressionist, follow-thy-master poignancy. Television is often compared to the novel, in an over-compensating effort to elevate its reputation. What if it were to emulate a short story or poetry collection, in which every tale, or every stanza, is unique yet cumulatively webbed together by their creator’s obsessive, reaching curiosity? – Slantmagazine
With this in mind we created a list containing our top 20 Hannibal quotes ever:
- “I DO WISH WE COULD CHAT LONGER, BUT I’M HAVING AN OLD FRIEND FOR DINNER.”
Hannibal uses this commonly said phrase but it’s clearly a gross play on words, as Hannibal literally wants to eat human flesh. This gives this phrase double meaning. Hannibal loves good wordplay, and his wit makes for some memorable lines.
- “KILLING MUST FEEL GOOD TO GOD, TOO. HE DOES IT ALL THE TIME.”This quote illustrates Hannibal’s narcissism and pride. He compares his own murders to that of God killing innocent people. Hannibal is definitely a devil/demon-like character in this series, so this quote is particularly fascinating.
- “A CENSUS TAKER ONCE TRIED TO TEST ME. I ATE HIS LIVER WITH SOME FAVA BEANS AND A NICE CHIANTI.”
- “WHENEVER FEASIBLE, ONE SHOULD ALWAYS TRY TO EAT THE RUDE.”
- “REMARKABLE BOY. I DO ADMIRE YOUR COURAGE. I THINK I’LL EAT YOUR HEART.”On the one hand, he can respect and admire the intellect and bravery of others, especially when their abilities nearly match Hannibal’s. But he is also still just as cruel to these people.
- “WITHOUT DEATH, WE’D BE AT A LOSS. IT’S THE PROSPECT OF DEATH THAT DRIVES US TO GREATNESS.”
- “DISCOURTESY IS UNSPEAKABLY UGLY TO ME.”
While Hannibal Lecter might be a serial killer and cannibal, he has a certain code of conduct that he lives by. He hates rudeness and discourtesy, and people who show these traits are put on his chopping block.
- “CRUELTY IS A GIFT HUMANITY HAS GIVEN ITSELF.”
Clearly, Hannibal is fascinated by the idea of cruelty and the things human beings do to each other, and this is quite a chilling moment.
- “WELL, CLARICE, HAVE THE LAMBS STOPPED SCREAMING?”
- “I NEVER FEEL GUILTY EATING ANYTHING.”
Now watch this video and your Hannibal fetish for the day will be complete:
We hope you liked this post. Let us know in the comments if we missed any.