Amazon’s $250 million Lord of the Rings show is set to launch in 2021 (rumored) and as avid Tolkien fan’s we are super hyped! Here’s everything you need to know with regards to the new show details, cast, production and release date. For today we are bringing you up to speed with the second age. Why the second age? The entire series will happen during the second age so it is important to know what happened during this time.
If we assume you know the 3rd age (The Lord of the Rings books) lets jump back a few thousand years and follow the HNEntertainment video below that sums it up nicely. The Second Age was the time-period of Arda (The planet middle earth is on) that began after the climactic banishment of Morgoth (The first dark lLord) into the Void by the Lords of the West (the Valar), led by Eönwë, the Herald of Manwë.
So here’s what we can expect to happen in the Lord of the Rings series:
- The 2nd age starts with the end of another big war, similar to the start of the 3rd age that starts with the end of a war (Where Isildur cuts the ring from Sauron)
- The rise of the house of Elros (Half man/Elf) of the Numenoreans
- The rise of Sauron and the construction of Baradhur
- Sauron creating the rings of power
- Sauron’s betrayal of the elves
- Elves relocating and establishing Rivendell
- The forming of the 9 Ring Wraiths
- The capture and escape of Sauron
- The last alliance war (Where Isildur cuts the ring from Sauron)
The Second Age ends when Isildur, father of Aragon, cut the ring of power from Sauron’s hand at the battle of Barad-dûr. The stories of Bilbo and Frodo all take place in the Third Age after Sauron lost his ring to Isildur. The closing moments of the Second Age were shown in the Lord of the Rings movies when Sauron lost his ring after the great sword broke. The fall of Isildur was also shown in the film; that’s when the ring was lost to the river and eventually found by Smeagle a.k.a Gollum.