Yes the title is not exactly true…yet. But in a few months from now this may be the case. We knew this movie was going to break just about every box office record in existence. Making this the most successful movie ever. Star Wars: The Force Awakens made its domestic debut with an estimated $238 million, smashing the previous record set by Jurassic World of $208.8 million, which opened in the summer. The film posted the highest Thursday preview gross ever ($57 million), the highest single day and Friday gross ($120.5 million), and it is the first film to surpass $100 million in a single day. It also posted the highest theatre average for a wide release with $57,568 and marks the biggest December opening of all time.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens made its way across the global landscape (except for China) this weekend to post an amazing estimated $517 million global gross. This marks the second-highest reported global weekend opening of all-time, behind only Jurassic World ($525 million, including China).
Star Wars: The Force Awakens also generated a record-breaking estimated $48 million from IMAX screens globally, beating the previous Jurassic World record of $44 million (which included China). Many territories saw record-breaking IMAX weekends including the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia and Australia.
The film’s domestic opening records include:
- Highest Thursday “preview” gross: $57M. Previously $43.5M, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (WB, 7/15/11).
- Highest one-day gross: estimated $120.5M. Previously $91.1M, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (WB, 7/15/11).
- First film to reach triple digits ($100M+) in a single day. Closest previously $91.1M, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (WB, 7/15/11).
- Highest opening weekend: estimated $238.0M. Previously $208.8M, Jurassic World (Uni, 6/12-14/15).
- Highest December opening weekend: estimated $238.0M. Previously $84.6M, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (WB, 12/14-16/12).
- Highest opening weekend per theatre average (wide release): estimated $57,568. Previously $48,855, Jurassic World (Uni, 6/12-14/15)
- Highest December opening theatre count: 4,134. Previously 4,045, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (WB, 12/14/12)
What did you guys think about the movie? Our dull review will be up soon…