Wow, it looks like Captain America: Civil War is going to be one helluva huge film! Judging by the amount of super heroes included in the cast, it will be the biggest superhero assembly in the Marvel Cinematic Universe! Even bigger than Avengers! Disney announced the cast for what could be the most comic book character-loaded Marvel movie yet. Captain America: Civil War will have (as it stands now) up to 16 comic book characters in its cast. It’s almost the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe — besides Thor and Hulk.
In a press release, Marvel and Disney announced that principal photography has begun for Captain America’s third standalone movie. It’s got almost everybody, but first, here’s the official synopsis:
“Captain America: Civil War” picks up where “Avengers: Age of Ultron” left off, as Steve Rogers leads the new team of Avengers in their continued efforts to safeguard humanity. After another international incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability and a governing body to determine when to enlist the services of the team. The new status quo fractures the Avengers while they try to protect the world from a new and nefarious villain.
Check below, that’s Ant-Man, Black Panther and Crossbones making their debut!
The film will shoot in Atlanta, Georgia, Germany, Puerto Rico and Iceland (so there might be some plot clues in there, for you comics sleuths). Here’s who’s returning, plus the new players, along with their rumored roles:
- Chris Evans as Steve Rogers/Captain America
- Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man
- Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow
- Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier
- Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson/Falcon
- Paul Bettany as The Vision
- Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton/Hawkeye
- Don Cheadle as Jim Rhodes/War Machine
- Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch
- Paul Rudd as Scott Lang/Ant-Man
- Chadwick Boseman as T’Challa/Black Panther
- Emily VanCamp as Sharon Carter/Agent 13
- Daniel Brühl who recently revealed he’ll be playing Baron Helmut Zemo (but Marvel does not confirm this in the press release)
- Frank Grillo as Brock Rumlow/Crossbones
- William Hurt as General Thaddeus “Thunderbolt” Ross
- Martin Freeman who is rumored to be playing Everett K. Ross
Holy crap that’s a lot of people, and you know that’s not going to be the limit. Spider-Man has to show up at some point, too. Plus, there are newly created characters the movie will most likely stumble upon or reference, and many others that haven’t been announced yet. It’s no big surprise that this movie is stuffed to the gills with comic stars. The premise of this movie will directly impact the lives of all supers, everywhere. But could this be the tipping point for comic book movie overload? Is Marvel actually putting out Avengers 3 just one year after Avengers 2? Does the public have room for even MORE comic characters on screen? The money has been saying yes — but it should be interesting to see what happens when this huge flick lines up against the relatively less overstuffed Batman v. Superman. Only time will tell.