FOX’s “Gotham” has officially cast Cory Michael Smith as Edward Nygma a.k.a. the future Riddler. Deadline describes Nygma as ”a brilliant but socially awkward forensic scientist who’s eccentric and outgoing and desperate to be liked.” The character description is very close to Jim Carrey’s puzzling word slinger of the 1995’s “Batman Forever”. Hopefully Fox will only have the description as the closest reference! Smith is fairly unknown with most of his acting career devoted to Broadway and a handful indie films. He appeared in “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” in 2013, and will be seen in upcoming projects for HBO’s miniseries “Olive Kitteridge” and the 1950s period piece “Carol”.
Let’s have quick look at the cast ensemble so far: – Check out our “Gotham” Series archive
- * The Riddler – Cory Michael Smith
- Young Bruce Wayne (Batman) – David Mazouz
- Selina Kyle (Catwoman)- Camren Bicondova
- Fish Mooney – Jada Pinkett Smith
- Detective James Gordon (will later be the city’s commissioner) – Benjamin McKenzie
- Oswald Cobblepot a.k.a. The Penguin – Robin Lord Taylor
- Alfred Pennyworth – Sean Pertwee
- Captain Essen (Gordon’s boss) – Zabryna Guevar
- Barbara Kean (Gordon’s fiancée) – Erin Richards
The show is described as following the younger days of Jim Gordon, as he learns the ropes in Gotham City and begins to encounter characters and villains that will become significant in later Batman stories. We can expect to see Batman’s infamous villains which include the Joker, the Riddler and Catwoman. “The Mentalist” creator Bruno Heller develops the one-hour drama. He executive produces and writes the pilot, which is in the process of casting. Danny Cannon also serves as an executive producer and will direct.