The ball is finally rolling geeks, according to a recent report over at starwars7news.com, “Star Wars: Episode 7″ is set to start filming on May 13 in the Abu Dhabi desert. Rumor has it the dry barren desert is set to be the home world of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker. Sources say they have spotted cast members practicing driving the vehicles they’ll be using on set. In other news it has also been reported that local law enforcement and military are checking vehicles in the area and preventing people from getting near the movie sets.
Check out some of the details from the site’s article:
“Things seem to be picking up pace around the Star Wars sets in the Abu Dhabi desert, with shooting expected to start on Tuesday and last until at least the end of the month.
Curious day-trippers are likely to be disappointed, however, as our sources report that police and army are checking all vehicles in the area and making sure that anyone who isn’t supposed to be there is sent quickly on their way.
Our sources also report that the sets are getting closer to completion, with a “whole world” having been built on an otherworldly salt lake at one location, a “shuttle-like” spacecraft, a large tower, a “big, centuries-old-looking market”, something the crew are reportedly referring to as the “alien house” and 10 to 15 “really fast buggies” powered by jet engines.
We have also been told that two lorries of explosives have been brought to one of the sites under high security and that a blast crater has been created. So, it looks like the action in Abu Dhabi could be set to feature a major battle or spacecraft crash of some description.
We also learnt that a group of technicians from the United Kingdom and Los Angeles are currently on site applying the finishing touches before the shoot begins and that some, unnamed, members of the cast are already here and have been out in the dunes practising driving the vehicles they’ll be using when filming begins.
With some of the crew already here (a source told us they checked into an Abu Dhabi hotel on Tuesday) and the main shoot expected to last until at least the end of the month (almost three weeks – and possibly longer depending on hitches such as sandstorms delaying shooting), it certainly looks as if Abu Dhabi is set to play a major role in the new movie. Disney’s chairman Alan Horn’s recent remarks that “We did some second-unit work in Abu Dhabi” may have been a slight understatement.”
Adam Driver is rumored to take on the role as the main villain in the upcoming pic. The Latest “Star Wars” reports suggest that Han Solo will have “a gigantic role in the first of the next three films.” Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew and Kenny Baker have been confirmed to return for the seventh installment. Driver joins the franchise as a newcomer, he is joined by Oscar Isaac, John Boyega, Domhnall Gleeson, Daisy Ridley, Andy Serkis and Max von Sydow. Star Wars geeks can expect “Episode 7″ to be set 30 years after 1983’s “Return of the Jedi”. The seventh installment will be released on December 18, 2015. Two sequels are set with the first one to follow in 2017, and the second in 2019.
Check out our ‘Star Wars Episode 7′ archive
Some related articles:
- Darth Vader Actor Wants In On ‘Star Wars Episode 7
- ‘Star Wars Episode 7′ to Make Release Date History?
- J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan Take Over As ‘Star Wars Episode 7′ Scribes
- R2-D2 seen on the set of Star Wars: Episode VII
- ‘Star Wars Episode 7′ Casting Rumors Include Military Man, Tough Teenage Girl and More
- ‘Star Wars Episode 7′ Scribe Lawrence Kasdan Tapped to Write Boba Fett Spin-Off
- Will Judi Dench Play Mon Mothma in ‘Star Wars Episode 7′?
- ‘Star Wars Episode 7’ Script finished, Filming set for May
- Carrie Fisher Rumored to Film ‘Star Wars Episode 7′ in London for Six Months
- ‘Star Wars Episode 7′ to Film in May in London, to Take Place 30 Years After ‘Return of Jedi’
- ‘Cast of Unknowns’ Destined for ‘Star Wars Episode 7′
- Peter Mayhew to Reprise His Role as Chewbacca in ‘Star Wars Episode 7′
- Han Solo Expected to Play ‘Gigantic’ Role in ‘Star Wars Episode 7’
- ‘Star Wars Episode 7′: New Casting Call Reveals Interesting Character Requirements
- Star Wars Episode 7 – Everything You Need to Know