Lord of the Rings fact for Today: Glorfindel was one of the mightiest and oldest Elves. During the fall of Gondolin he saved many facing a Balrog. This deed allowed him to be reincarnated and continue his bravery into the 3rd age helping Gandalf,Aragorn & Frodo.
Glorfindel was known for his golden hair, which at some point, was described to be yellow. He was an elf of great bodily and spiritual structure, wisdom, and bravery. Glorfindel was said to be descended from a house of princes and one of the noble elves in Gondolin. Due to his golden hair, he might be descended from a Ñoldorin (first elves) like Finrod and Galadriel. This makes him just as powerful as Galadriel and other elves that are form that original line of High Elves.
Here are some of his most valiant deeds:
- Glorfindel defeated the Balrog (1st Age) in no more than a few hours. Remember Gandalf struggled for 10 days with the Balrog named “Durin’s Bane so the swiftness of the fight between Glorfindel and the Balrog, and the manner in which Glorfindel held the upperhand throughout, must mean that he was mighty indeed.
- During this battle he fended himself from the Balrog’s whip and claws, and successfully hewed its iron helm. At the last moment, he pierced the Balrog’s belly and it fell backwards towards the cliff, but it grabbed Glorfindel by his hair and both of them fell into the deep abyss. His body was later borne up by Thorondor, Lord of Eagles, who flew down into the Abyss to rescue Glorfindel’s broken body.
- He was reincarnated/ brought back to life . As Glorfindel’s spirit departed to the Halls of Mandos, where he spent years with the spirits of the others who died. Due to his noble actions, valor and bravery that saved many Elves during the Fall of Gondolin, he was re-embodied after a short time.
- A thousand years later, in SA 1600, Manwë sent him back to Middle-earth as an emissary of the Valar and granted him powers nearly as strong as that of the Maiar’s.
- It was Glorfindel who predicted that no mortal man would ever destroy the Witch-king of Angmar.
- At the Council of Elrond, Glorfindel sat in a position of honour alongside Elrond and Gandalf. He suggested that the One Ring should be either sent to Tom Bombadil and cast into the depths of the Sea
- In The Fellowship of the Ring movie, Glorfindel’s role in guiding Frodo Baggins to Rivendell is filled by Arwen.
These are some of the reasons why we absolutely love Glorfindel. We are sad that he did not play a more prominent role in the movies.
After the Ring’s destruction, Glorfindel, along with Erestor and the sons of Elrond, witnessed the wedding of Aragorn and Arwen. His ultimate fate is not known, but it is reasonable to assume that he eventually sailed to Valinor with the rest of his kin.